Water hardness is a common problem found in the water supply of homes; it simply refers to the buildup of hard minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and other dissolved chemicals in a water system. This leaves the water harmful and unsafe for human consumption or skin contact; ingesting a high concentration of minerals found in hard water tends to result in adverse health effects.
To combat this, you need to have the best water softener integrated as part of your home’s water system. They eliminate all traces of hard minerals and microorganisms from your water, giving you access to pure drinking water. There are several models to consider in the market, and these models differ in terms of specs, softening systems, and performance.
We created a list of the best water softeners with the most impressive features you can benefit from. You can evaluate each of these options and compare them against one another in terms of features and price. This will help you land on the best system that works with your budget.
- Top 8 Best Water Softeners
- 1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000-Grain Water Softener
- 2. SpringWell Water Filter and Salt Softener
- 3. ABCwaters Built Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Black Water Softener
- 4. Iron Pro 48K Combination Water Softener & Iron Filter with Fleck 2510SXT Digital Metered Valve
- 5. Aquasana Rhino EQ-600 Whole House Water Filter System
- 6. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT- Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener
- 7. Watts Water Quality/Condition M7007 Flow-Pur RV-Pro 10,000 Water Softener
- 8. APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Essence Series Top Tier Filter System
Top 8 Best Water Softeners
1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000-Grain Water Softener
This softener system is suitable for use in small to medium-sized households; it’s very effective when it’s down to the removal of calcium and any other hardness minerals present in your water supply. It also aids in extending the lifetime use of your appliances like washing machines and water heaters as well as that of your plumbing system. After installing the product, you can access clean and safe water from your taps for drinking and bathing.
The Fleck 560SXT was built using high-quality materials to ensure it lasts for a long period under the use of the consumers. This is why the device is backed by a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer as a guarantee that it will serve the owners well.
The softener has a 48,000-grain capacity and provides sufficient pressure that can deliver up to 12 gallons per minute. There is a programmable flow meter on the device that can be used to access the operation modes and other features.
- Ensure minimal wastage of salt or water
- Has a user-friendly digital display
- Can be easily installed within a couple of minutes
- Programmable flow meter
- Comes with a bypass valve to switch between filtered and unfiltered water
- Doesn’t provide a warning when it’s running low on salt
- Not ideal for large households
2. SpringWell Water Filter and Salt Softener
This is a top-rated water softener popular amongst homeowners; this softener doesn’t make use of salt or ion exchange to remove hard minerals but rather uses a template-assisted crystallization technology. You can also use the softener to target contaminants like chlorine, pesticides, chloramine, sulfur, and others that pose a threat to your health. Your appliances, plumbing system, and faucets are bound to benefit from the improved quality of water.
High maintenance isn’t required by the device because it makes use of filters which, when replaced, can last for up to two years. The product comes with an installation kit for easy integration into your water system; all the necessary parts are included in the kit for convenience. The product comes with a lifetime warranty on all parts. This is the only water softener that offers this warranty condition.
- Has a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons
- Minimal maintenance costs
- Durable product
- Has a lifetime warranty as well as a 6-month money-back guarantee
- Capable of removing more kinds of contaminants
- Quite an expensive option
3. ABCwaters Built Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Black Water Softener
This is a water softener that features one of the most trusted digital valve meters in the industry. The LCD of the meter has a backlight and three buttons to activate different water functions. This is a heavy-duty product designed for the purification of your home’s water supply. This softener has a stable flow rate of 12 GPM, and you are provided with two brine tanks in the product package.
Included in the package are a mineral tank and another large brine tank that contains the recharging solution. There’s a safety float on the brink tank along with a top basket to avoid the loss of resin. You can test for the hardness of your water supply using the test strips provided in the package. You have access to 48,000-grain capacity, an installation kit, and tech support to guide you through any functions.
After the installation of the product, you can monitor your water regeneration time and water consumption rate. This is ideal for a medium-sized family with at least 4 members; both of the tanks come with a 10-year warranty after purchase.
- Comes with two sturdy tanks
- Effective water softener
- Has an LCD monitor
- Includes an installation kit
- Contains test strips for detecting water hardness
- Can’t combat rust
4. Iron Pro 48K Combination Water Softener & Iron Filter with Fleck 2510SXT Digital Metered Valve
Built to remove water hardness and filter out any traces of iron from your water supply, the Iron Pro is an excellent product with a grain capacity of 48,000. This capacity is sufficient to serve up to three people with ease; this product also features a digital meter for easy usage and efficiency. The mesh resin was added for effective iron removal and enhanced durability; a stainless steel bypass valve is fitted onto the product to allow easy plumbing connections.
You can eliminate hardness up to75 GPG and handle quantities of iron up 6-8 ppm, a maximum flow rate of 16 GPM is integrated into the design. The regeneration of the brine tank is controlled by the meter, which detects when you are running low on soft water. There is a 10-year warranty provided on the tank by the manufacturer.
- Designed to rid your water supply of hardness and minute quantities of metals
- Very sturdy design
- Has a bypass valve
- Has a digital control head
- Four modes of operation
- Ample space is required for installation.
- Installation might require professional help.
5. Aquasana Rhino EQ-600 Whole House Water Filter System
If you are interested in removing all kinds of impurities from your water supply, then you need to get this filtration system to enhance the purity, taste, and odor of the water. Certified by NSF, this product can filter as much as 600,000 gallons of water without the need for electricity.
The Aquasana Rhino EQ-600 employs the use of three stages of filtration, with each stage combating different kinds of contaminants. The tank is designed to last for either the stipulated capacity (600,000) or about 6 years, depending on its frequency.
The product comes with a 6-year warranty to cover any defects or malfunctions. You don’t have to worry about the effects of mineral deposits on your clothes or appliances. This water softener is more than capable of eliminating all traces of heavy metals or minerals.
- Incredibly versatile model
- Doesn’t require any electrical connection or salt
- Combats a diverse range of contaminants using 3 filtration stages
- Has a 600,000-grain capacity
- You need professional help for installation to avoid being ineligible for its warranty.
6. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT- Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener
This product sums up all the features you need in a versatile and portable water softener; the device is compact and lightweight. It provides users with the ability to use the product in any setting, either in a home or an RV. The softener has a capacity of 16,000 grains, which is enough to serve 2-3 people easily.
The package includes a shut-off valve, back-flush adapter, water hardness test strips, storage inlet/outlet caps, as well as a drinking hose for easy installation. It makes use of standard table salt for regeneration, and you can refill the salt through the swivel head provided on the product. You can use the product to soften between 500-1600 gallons of water before it requires salt regeneration.
- Easy installation process
- Lightweight and portable
- Can handle a maximum pressure of 125 psi
- Certified to soften about 500 to 1600 gallons of water for each regeneration cycle
- Not suitable for heavy use
7. Watts Water Quality/Condition M7007 Flow-Pur RV-Pro 10,000 Water Softener
This is an affordable unit that’s very effective in softening your water supply; the product has a uniquely designed flow valve that can be used to regenerate the salt without detaching and attaching the softener to your water supply. This reduces the amount of effort you have to exert in producing pure water over time. The softener can be used to remove chemicals like calcium and magnesium from your water. The product has a grain capacity of 10,000 and a flow rate of 4 GPM; a 10-year warranty is provided on the parts and tank of the product.
- Ideal for small homes
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Portable design
- Quite affordable
- You still have to regenerate manually.
8. APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Essence Series Top Tier Filter System
This quality product holds a lot of capabilities and features for homeowners at a cost-effective price. The system makes use of 5 stages of filtration to purify your water supply before being released to you. You can eliminate up to 99% of impurities contained in your water. The water softener can be installed in any location conveniently accessible to a water feed line. Water pressure between 40 to 85 psi is to be provided into the system. You can produce about 50 gallons of clean and safe drinking water every day; a faucet and pressurized storage tank are included in the product’s package. A limited manufacturer’s warranty is provided on the product for a year.
- High-performance water softener
- Quick DIY installation
- Free lifetime technical support and 1-year limited warranty
- Affordable option
- Can produce 50 gallons of pure water per day
- Wastes 3 gallons of water for every 1 gallon of purified water
Purchasing a water softener not only provides users with several health benefits but also affects some of your daily activities. Soft water is known to have a much tender impact on the skin, clothes, and hair relative to hard water. Your pipe fittings, appliances, and other items that require contact with your water supply will last longer and serve you appropriately.
Hard minerals begin to damage the surfaces of these things after accumulating over a certain period. You can also install a water softener as a precautionary measure against water hardening; it can happen to any water supply if neglected.